Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's Still Alive...

(Cloverfield spoilers)

So, I saw Cloverfield the other day, and I am pleased to announce that it was really damn cool. I was worried that the hand-cam style would be jarring, but instead I found it an intersting technique to put the viewer right there with the characters, not really knowing what's going on, not quite being able to see certain things. One thing that's left unanswered is what, exactly, the monster is. Don't get me wrong, they show the whole thing, but the origin is an unknown. Despite the "thing falling in the ocean" that can be seen, I'm of the opinion that it's not an alien. Looking at the viral stuff, it looks like the falling thing was probably the Tagruato satelite.

My theroy is that the Cloverfield monster is actually a giant mutant fish, of all things. Some sort of deep sea dragonfish, like a viperfish, to be more exact. It's mostly the face that makes me think of that: the air-sacks on the side of the thing's head seem to resemble modified gills. Plus, the beady forward-facing eyes along with it's massive teeth.... yeah. That could also be the origin of it having six limbs rather than four.

In any case, the movie was cool. The viral marketing is fun, and J.J. Abrams is still really creative. Plus, in movie form, his ideas don't have time to peter out like his T.V. series seem to do.

So, yes, please do see it. Much with the cool.

No comments: